Research & Product Development Engineer
Research & Product Development Engineer
PHOTONIS Scientific, Inc located in Sturbridge, MA, specializes in the design, development and manufacture of leading-edge detectors and electro-optics for the transport and identification of Ions, Electrons, UV Photons and Soft X-Rays. We hold numerous patents on our innovative technologies which include a wide range of electron multipliers, resistive glass and fast photonic technologies.
Our quality products are used by most analytical instrument manufacturers to bring added value and reliability to their specialized instrumentation with one of our main focuses being on Mass Spectrometry applications. Our products add significant contributions to physics and space research, drug discovery, proteomic technologies, imaging, and communications through our dedication to continual technology improvements. We continually strive to anticipate and surpass our customers’ expectations. The very buoyant demand for high-performance, integrated sensors on various platforms, is fueling both our growth and strategic direction.
To advance our mission we are seeking a highly motivated R&D Engineer to join our team. Through collaboration with external and internal partnerships you will identify and develop the next generation of detector technologies to integrate new products into our exciting and successful portfolio. This is a hands-on, roll up your sleeves role and will encompass and influence the full R&D lifecycle from concept to prototype, to transitioning to our manufacturing group. If you have R & D experience in a manufacturing setting and want to make a real difference, please keep reading to see if you have what it takes…
- Lead projects to develop new products and new technologies to support the needs of Scientific Detectors at PHOTONIS
- Perform key test, simulation, design, and development work to bring products from the conceptual phase through to release to manufacturing
- Work with others to solve technical problems and advance capabilities in research and development with occasional assistance to manufacturing.
- Partner with your technical counterparts from our clients to address their needs and resolve design issues.
- Create documentation and coordinate/execute testing to characterize and qualify concepts, products, and methods.
- Modify current products to improve manufacturability, reliability, and resolve manufacturing issues.
Education and Experience
• Hands-on experience in laboratory, manufacturing, and/or field service environments.
• The preferred candidate will have experience designing, using, and troubleshooting a broad range of electronic and mechanical equipment to support the on-time execution of engineering projects.
• Electrical test experience including high speed analog electronics and oscilloscopes. High voltage experience is desirable.
- Familiarity with ion and electron detectors, secondary electron emission, charged particle optics, and high vacuum technology and practices are highly desirable.
- Experience supporting a manufacturing / commercial environment is a plus.
- Experience using computer simulations to guide and confirm real-world test results.
- Ability to self-manage multiple projects efficiently and effectively in a team-based environment.
- Experience and best practices working in assembly-level clean rooms.
- The ability to prepare and present technical seminars to existing and potential customers and to assist in the development and maintenance of key customer relationships.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across departments, functions and among direct reports.
- The tools you need to exceed your professional goals including
- Full product education
- Up to date technical resources
- The industry's most advanced product development energy
- A competitive compensation package including the following:
- Health, dental, and vision coverage
- Life and disability insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 401(k) with company match
This position is governed by the regulations and guidelines of ITAR. Candidates must be able to evidence the right to live and work permanently and unsponsored in the US as an employment contingency.
PHOTONIS Scientific, Inc is a drug free environment and conducts pre-employment drug and alcohol testing
PHOTONIS Scientific, Inc. is an AA/EEO/ADA/Veterans Preference Employer.