Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Full Time Regular
Sturbridge, MA, US
Photonis Scientific, in Sturbridge, MA, specializes in the design, development and manufacture of leading-edge detectors and electro-optics for the transport and identification of ions, electrons, UV Photons and Soft X-Rays. We hold a number of patents on our innovative technologies which include a wide range of electron multipliers, resistive glass and fast photonic technologies. Our quality products are used by most analytical instrument manufacturers to bring added value and reliability to their specialized instrumentation. In addition, our products add significant contributions to physics and space research, drug discovery, proteomic technologies, imaging and communications through our dedication to continual technology improvements. We have an opportunity for a talented, motivated and enthusiastic Manufacturing Engineering Manager in our Sturbridge, MA facility. This position is responsible for managing and supervising all manufacturing process engineers and equipment; manages the Environmental Health and Safety, Maintenance and Manufacturing Engineering Departments; Focuses on Manufacturing Product and Process Yield improvements; Provides vision, leadership and guidance to other departmental Managers and all of manufacturing.
- Trouble shoots existing manufacturing processes and procedures; investigating and implementing cost reduction opportunities; and directs manufacturing with design changes and improvements. Experience with Quality Control Initiatives is a strong plus.
- Works with Senior Management and Product and Applications Engineers to identify market opportunities.
- Provides input to the development of product strategy of new and emerging products.
- Communicates with Senior Management to update the status of all production processes
- Communicates with purchasing to track the status of all purchased parts relating to new product development
- Manages maintenance and communicates with manufacturing personnel in order to obtain information necessary to implement changes, improvements and/or preventative measures; upgrade equipment and process controls; reduce material waste; and modify equipment to ensure that quality products can be manufactured at optimum productivity levels.
- Contributes to the Company’s profitability with cost reductions and the impact on material waste and manufacturing efficiencies.
- Participates in ongoing Management Team meetings to identify, submit request for quotations, negotiate, purchase, implement and manage yearly capital plan.
- Participates on the Safety Committee and over-sees primary operations for the Waste Water Treatment Facilities for all solid, liquid and gas waste; manages air emissions standards.
- Directs Manufacturing Engineers and works with Department Heads to develop the implementation strategy for the release of new products.
- Oversees Manufacturing Engineering department operation budgets and cost reduction plans, take necessary actions to meet targets and business goals.
- Directs continuous improvement efforts using the latest Lean Manufacturing techniques and encourage operation efficiencies for all sources and eliminate waste in all manufacturing processes; continuous yield enhancements/improvements.
- Provides leadership to MFG Engineers and other departmental Mangers to assure quality and cost goals are achieved
- Provides guidance to the development of a manufacturing process plan, including personnel requirements, safety requirements, material needs, subcontract requirements, facility needs and tooling and equipment needs.
- Reviews and analyzes production, Modeling/Testing, quality control, maintenance, and operational reports to determine causes of nonconformity with product specifications, and operating or production problems; researches new materials, processes or procedures.
- Participates in yearly business planning and other weekly, monthly business meetings.
- Performs administrative activities associated with the effective management of shop operations, including compiling, storing, and retrieving production data for reports.
- Ensures all established costs, quality, and delivery commitments are met.
- Promotes and Encourages understanding and use of the ISO 9001 based Quality Management System.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; Exhibits respect and trust; provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations.
Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Business Acumen and Ethics - Aligns work with strategic goals. Upholds organizational values
Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Adapts strategy to changing conditions; meets challenges with resourcefulness;
Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Makes timely decisions that are nearly always restricted by only the broadest policy and/or guidance from the supervisor.
This position is governed by the regulations and guidelines of ITAR including a candidate’s ability to evidence US citizenship as an employment contingency.
We offer the right candidate an aggressive and competitive compensation package that includes a full menu of benefits including health and dental coverage, life and disability insurance, vacation and 401(k) with company match.
Please apply on line and provide an updated resume with cover letter that includes salary requirements.
Only those responses that meet or exceed all the stated background parameters for education, experience and professional competency will be reviewed and retained. No inquiries from professional recruiting firms will be considered.
Photonis Scientific is an AA/EEO/ADA/Veterans Preference Employer