R & D Engineer
R & D Engineer
Photonis Scientific is the global leader in providing custom sensors, detectors and components to the research community and analytical instrument and mass spectrometry industry. To enhance our growth we have a need for a talented and disciplined Research and Development Engineer in our Sturbridge, MA location. Through collaboration with external and internal partnerships you will identify and develop the next generation of detector technologies to integrate new products into our exciting and successful portfolio. This is a hands-on, roll up your sleeves role and will encompass and influence the full R&D lifecycle from concept to prototype to transitioning to our manufacturing group. If you have R & D experience in a manufacturing setting and want to make a real difference, please keep reading to see if you have what it takes…
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead projects to develop new products and new technologies to support the needs of Scientific Detectors at Photonis
- Perform key test, simulation, design, and development work to bring products from the conceptual phase through to release to manufacturing
- Work with others to solve technical problems and advance capabilities in research and development with occasional assistance to manufacturing.
- Partner with your technical counterparts from our clients to address their needs and resolve design issues.
- Create documentation and coordinate/execute testing to characterize and qualify concepts, products, and methods.
- Modify current products to improve manufacturability, reliability, and resolve manufacturing issues.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, or a relevant field of study required. A Master’s degree strongly preferred. A PhD is a strong plus.
- Hands-on experience in laboratory, manufacturing, and/or field service environments.
- The preferred candidate will have experience designing, using, and troubleshooting a broad range of electronic and mechanical equipment to support the on-time execution of engineering projects.
- Familiarity with ion and electron detectors, secondary electron emission, charged particle optics, and high vacuum technology and practices are highly desirable.
- Experience and best practices working in assembly-level clean rooms.
- Electrical test experience including high speed analog electronics and oscilloscopes. High voltage experience is desirable.
- Experience supporting a manufacturing / commercial environment.
- Ability to efficiently and effectively self-manage multiple projects in a team-based environment.
- Experience using computer simulations to guide and confirm real-world test results.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Suite of products.
Photonis Scientific is committed to providing you the tools you need to exceed your professional goals including full product education, up to date technical resources and the industry's most advanced product development energy. We offer the right candidate a competitive compensation package that includes a full menu of benefits including health and dental coverage, life and disability insurance, vacation and 401(k) with company match.
This position is governed by the regulations and guidelines of ITAR. Candidates must be able to evidence the right to live and work permanently and unsponsored in the US as an employment contingency.
This position reports to our Sturbridge, MA facility.
Photonis Scientific is a drug free environment and conducts pre-employment drug and alcohol testing
If you expect more from an employer; more opportunities, more rewards and more challenges then please submit your resume with cover letter that includes salary requirements
Only those responses that meet or exceed all the stated background parameters for education, citizenship, experience and professional competency will be considered. No inquiries from professional recruiting firms will be considered.
Photonis Scientific is an AA/EEO/ADA/Veterans Preference Employer.