In severe operating conditions, and when the use of detectors with an integral cable is not preferred, an alternative is to use a triaxial mineral insulated cable extension connected to the detector.
Such mineral insulated cable extensions are terminated by two adapted HN or specific triax-connectors (plugs or jacks). Triaxial cable extensions & connectors can work for pulse and current transmissions.
Custom coaxial cable extensions & connectors
By full control of the following processes, Photonis Nuclear Instrumentation can supply custom triaxial cable extensions & connectors with the highest quality and reliability levels
- Adaptation to customer specific requirements.
- Development of new triaxial cable extensions & connectors with our experienced R&D team.
- Long term collaboration with the French Atomic Energy Commission / CEA (theoretical approach, modeling, qualification tests in research reactors.
- Complete manufacturing process on site.
- Support from all the Photonis Group activities, experience and knowledge.
- Certifications & Quality Assurance programs adapted to the customer environment.
- Technical support, applying expertise.
- Export control, as an Authorized Economic Operator, Photonis acts in accordance with the EU international regulations.
- Structure configuration: triaxial (one central conductor, one internal envelope, one external envelope).
- Cable materials: Multi metallic cable envelopes for high immunity to parasites. Mineral insulator.
- Connector Material: Stainless steel and Nickel structure and high-grade Alumina (Al2O3) insulators.
|Examples of custom versions from basic types|
- Adapted mechanical interface with the equipment (Customized external dimensions, cable curvature radius)
- Adapted electrical characteristics (characteristic impedance, capacitance, line resistance, attenuation, transfer impedance
- Cable insulator material (Al2O3, MgO, SiO2)
- LOCA (Lose Of Coolant Accident) and post-LOCA protection
- Ruggedized structure for harsh environment (radiation, temperature, humidity, mechanical stress)
- Adapted HN or specific triax-connectors. Coaxial Mineral insulated connector type (HN, BNC, BNCHT or specific) can also be integrated to triaxial cables. Reinforced types are available for high pressure, high temperature conditions
- External mechanical and/or electrical protection around the cable and/or the connectors (folded spiral seam, radiation resistant heat-shrink sleeve)
- Connectors can also be delivered in mating connector or tight feedthrough versions
The French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) selected Photonis as its technological partner for a co-operative development of neutron and gamma detectors when the French nuclear power program took shape in the sixties.
PWR – Safety critical signal transmission in reactor building – Mineral insulated cable extension – EXT-HN - France